[pct-l] Ice Axe Choice. -------)

Advice on the brand and size to carry for the specific purpose of self
arrest is also needed.

The Cassin Dragonfly is only about 12 ounces, good for general use
(like
a PCT thru-hike). However, they seem to have disappeared from the US
market. Glad I got mine when I did. Any updates on it's availability?

I bought a Camp HL250 from Mountain Magic Equipment in Canada
(800)661-0399. A killer deal at $75.00 US and it only weighs 10 ozs. I
added an 8" ski pole extension to the original 60 cm length, so that
it's a perfect walking stick length now, and it still only added 3ozs
to the total.  Beware though, you can't buy it in the US because it is
so light weight that it's considered dangerous. The head construction
is riveted, and the body is a very thin section aluminum extrusion. I
feel that it is plenty adequate, but then again I only weigh 140lbs,
and I have lots of mountaineering, and glacier experience, you need to
make your own decision on what your comfortable with.

==
Tucker
email:worknot@yahoo.com