[pct-l] Jim Mayer's tuna can alcohol stove

On 1-22-99, I reported building a version of Jim's design, then adding a
blowpipe to improve the boil time.

After discussing the design with a friend (a certified Geritol, 83 years old
with 50+ years experience designing industrial boilers used in power
generation), I've been able to achieve the same result, i.e., 4.5 minutes to
bring 2 cups of cold water to a boil, WITHOUT the blowpipe.

A second can is inverted over the burner.  This can, about 0.25 inch larger
than the burner in all dimensions, has six tabs cut out around the rim with
churchkey can opener, and a 1.75 inch diameter hole centered in the bottom
(top when inverted).  The six tabs are bent in far enough to hold the burner
centered.

When the stove is burning, air flows up through the tabs around the outer
can
edge, back down over the wick, and feeds the flame emerging through the
center
hole.  Air flowing through the space between the cans is heated and at the
same time prevents heat from being lost from the burner.  Total weight of
the
stove, including stand and windscreen, is 3 ounces.

Anyone who wants further info and doesn't want to clutter up the list, shoot
me a note at royrobin@aol.com.