Re: [pct-l] Pack capacity for PCT truhike

> However, the TALL Jansport weighs almost 6 pounds while the small Jansport
> weighs almost 5 pounds with their standard bag. A custom bag, that is
> smaller and lighter, that occupies only the sweet spot across the shoulders
> would likely drop the weight to 4 pounds. Keeping the weight on top of the
> horizonal part of the frame [behind the head] or below it [across the back]
> would allow you to make more miles a day, even if the pack was a pound or
> so heavier.

I used to share a similar view.  However, I tried the so-called "ultra-light"
method last summer, and I have to admit:  You can walk a lot farther woth a
pack that only weighs 18lbs, than one that is "well-packed" and weighs 50lbs.
I used an Osprey Aether Approach Pack this summer to do the JMT.  It is only
2200ci and has no frame, just a 1/4" foam pad in the back that can be taken out
and used as extra padding for my hips beneath my ridge rest.  It also has an
unpadded hip belt that is extremely comfortable.  The entire pack weighs 1lb, 9
oz.

Just by switching packs I cut 4 lbs from my packweight.  No other change could
have cut as much weight.  ...and cheap, too - $79.00.  I could have also
lightened up by swapping sleeping bags, stoves, tents, etc.  But no other item
will save as much weight fro the dollar.

I am planning on using this pack for all of my extended hikes from now on.

Peace,
Dude in TX