[pct-l] Re: Book idea

John,

My goal on a book on Bears/Bear Canisters is to educate the public so that
some garbage bear doesn't bite my head off.

I offered to [through a friend] the NPS to write and publish the book for
"free" and sell it for cost [probably less than $2] if they would
distribute it. I also sent an e-mail to Wilderness Press because of their
reputation [I foolishly thought that they knew about, and cared enough
about, the backcountry to recognise the problem] and their ability to
distribute books where it mattered.

In the case of the NPS it is probably a bureauracy.
1-They first have to recognise the problem: People don't know how to use
bear canisters
2- Understand the effect of the problem: More human food for bears
3- Then understand and evaluate my solution: A how to book from someone who
has experience and knows how to write an entertaining book.
Unless someone knows how to get to the right person this ain't going to
happen [Reynolds Rule; The core competency of any bureauracy is to
perpepuate itself]

In the case of Wilderness Press they just probably have lots on their plate
and didn't notice.