[pct-l] Bears

When Walt and I took Kearsarge Pass from Onion Valley in '97, we spent the
night at the Ranger Rescue Hut at Charlotte Lake.  There were three chained
cans for food. If you feel you need the extra protection I would recommend
stopping there -- by the way -- the cans had bear scratches on them and so
did several trees!  The lake was beautiful and we had a great time watching
the reflection of the mountain and sunset on the lake!

Vermillion Valley Resort was a really exciting place to meet bears!  A black
yogi came into one of their free tents (Army type with wooden floors & bunk
beds) and took the food right off of the table while three ladies were
sitting there -- just wanted the food,  had no time for conversatioin or
petting!  To get to VVR by road you have to drive on the road from hell --
very narrow and full of people pulling boats, campers and horse trailers!
My cousin braved the trip and was rewarded with a too close encounter from
Yogi.  He was so stressed out from the drive he pulled into the parking lot
next to the store to take a nap (in the middle of the day no less) with the
window down and his lunch on the dash ---  but not for long.  Butch and Peg
said they have never seen anyone jump so high or roll their window up so
fast!  Bear didn't wait for conversation this time either.  Butch said that
the bears are drifting over from the Yosemite Valley and bringing their
talents and love for people food with them.  I would definitely suggest
taking care of your food along this stretch.

It snowed when we got to Tuolumne, but we didn't have any bear problems when
we were there.  We got to Tuloumne the first week the store was open and
there must have been 25-30 of us at the upper group campground. We spent
several hours around a fire ring, talking, singing and trading yarns.
Didn't see any bears and we weren't careful at all with our food either --
all the table were loaded.

I recommend the store -- has just about everything food wise and even some
good gloves, hats, fuel, mosquito hats.  We were so glad we purchased our
mosquito hats here!Don't forget to got to the hotel and pay for a wonderful
shower!  Food at the little diner (room!)wasn't bad either.  The hotel
restaurant was better but pricey!

Happt Trail Couple ---  Pat