[pct-l] PCT near Mt. Whitney

I am looking for information on doing the closest PCT sections either S or N
of Mt. Whitney.  Want to travel approx 8 m/day.  Want to enter at either the
closest point N of Mt. Whitney, do some pct miles, Mt. whitney and then
enter closest place south of Whitney.  Or maybe just the North section, or
just the section south of Mt. Whitney.  How many days should one plan on?
What places would one list on the INYO Natl Forest reservation form?    Want
to mail that form in soon for we want to start our trip anytime after
7/26/99, also plan of phoning for reserv.  We know that the N section
involves Forester Pass.  We want to do PCT  hike as conditioning for
summiting Mt. Whitney.  We are avid hikers, have done lots of 14000ft mt in
col in past and lots of hiking on the AT, NH, & Alaska.  Also, in the north
section how bad are the bears.  What kind of incidents happened last year?
What do you recommend for bear protection--bear cannister??

Please respond to laj8190@garnet.acns.fsu.edu as I do not read this digest
every day.