Re: [pct-l] Water Alerts

Slyinmd@aol.com wrote:

> One source that has me concerned is at Cross Highway 78, San Felipe Creek,
> which is listed, "maybe comtaminated" and happens to be in the middle of two
> 20+ mile waterless spans.  That's not very encouraging,  Does anyone have any
> info on this source?

I have lived in San Diego County since 1962.  I have never know San Felipe Creek
at Scissors Crossing (check out the roads on the map) to be dry, at least through
June.  (I don't get out there much in the true summertime.)  Cattle are run in the
area, and like slow deer everywhere, they delight in parking themselves in the
water.  It does get pretty gamey right around the crossing.

If it's time for a break, and you're up to a bit of hitchhiking, you may travel
south on S2 to a campground designed for car travelers, and the horsey set.  There
is a small store there, and piped water.  Or, if you'd like a bit more variety,
travel west on the 78 (up Banner Grade), to the touristy mining town of Julian.
Either way, there is a fair amount of weekend traffic, and fairly regular traffic
on the weekdays.

I consume what I believe to be a more than average amount of water.  I plan on 3
miles to the quart, though I  drink pretty heavy early on, just to reduce the
load.  Anyway, I carry 6 quarts when I walk either section, pee clear the whole
way, and generally have the better part of a quart when I finish.  (BTW, the 3
mi./qt. figure has also included a night's sleep, although without cooking.  If
you're resupplying in Laguna, and plan to cook a meal in the desert, you may
consider throwing in canned food.  You won't have to add any extra water, and
you'd be carrying it anyway.  Just a thought, I probably plan on a cold camp.

The stretch I haven't walked, and have a little more concern for is the bit
between Warner Springs and the Palms-Pines highway.  Unless we get some late
winter rains, the only reliable water may be at Tule Springs.  I'm hoping to be
able to walk the 37 miles on the weekend of February 20.  If I don't get scroged,
I'll let you know what I find.