Re: [pct-l] re: San Felipe Hills

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Greg Hummel wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, where is Scissors Crossing?  I had this same idea over
> the last few years and thought that somewhere in the Mojave just south of
> Tehachapi Mountains would be best considering the timing, lack of water,
> etc.  But last year the desert was blooming and water was abundant with
> snow in the Tehachapis when most came thru.  Maybe this year you '99ers
> will need what CTMiller proposes.

Scissors Crossing is in the middle of San Felipe Valley just before you
head along the San Felipe Hills, map reference A11. It's significant
because it's the only shade for miles around. There's a wonderful
cottonwood tree that everybody seems to take an extended break under.
In a good year, there'll even be enough water running the creek to
refill your bottles.

That section across Mojave through Antelope Valley would also be a
great area for someone who wants to perform a little trail magic.

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98                       (650) 725-3686
http://www.stanford.edu/~kbrandt/