Re: [pct-l] re: San Felipe Hills

>Pardon my ignorance, where is Scissors Crossing?

Greg, Scissors Crossing is between Mt. Laguna and
Warner Springs smack in the middle of section A11 and
near Route 78.  If you really are seriouse about
helping out with water, etc., Scissors Crossing would
be a huge help.  Although there is said to be "water"
here, it is in the form of a "cow polluted creek."  Not
high on the list as a great water source, but in '97 it
was better than nothing and not even our worst water
source! There are a couple of big cottonwood trees here
for shade, making it is a good place for an afternoon
nap.  The next couple of miles are a hard and hot climb
over Grape Vine Mt.

Yes, fruit, water, juice, etc would be fantastic, and
if you could do it, a ride into Julian would be
"heaven." I understand there is a restaurant and store
there where hikers can pig out on ice cream, a
restaurant meal, and get a chance to see more of
California off the trail. A ride to Julian and back to
Scissors Crossing would be great, the bus ride is a
very iffy thing.   If you picked hikers up in the
morning and returned them to Scissors Crossing in the
late afternoon you would certainly make their day. The
hike up and over "Grape Vine" on the way to Barrell
Spring can be a killer because you have to carry so
much water. Barrell Springs was also low on water last
year because of a broken pipe from the spring (of sorts
-- real questionable) and I would suggest that hikers
filter the water here too.  In '97 the horse apples and
flies were so bad we only stayed to get some water and
repack our packs.  The trail out was easy to find,
don't worry about the book saying you could get lost
here because enough hikers have been through to make
the trail evident.

In '97 Walt and I were lucky enough to be at Scissors
Crossing when some of the locals were "harvesting" the
water cress.  It grows in the "creek" further back and
was a much better water source for filtering our water
in -- wish they had been there earlier in the day when
we were filtered the "cow" water!  Of course the worst
"cow" water was at Kelso -- simply putrefying!  We
passed this by. Help at Pioneer Mail Station would also
be great -- the horse trough can be a bit "yuckee."

It may be hard going this year for water if La Nina
holds true and to have extra help at these places could
be life saving.  If you left a message with Joe at the
PCTA with the information on the places and dates you
were willing to stash water at it we could call in and
get the information.  Walt and I would be glad to
recompense you for the water and your time -- it would
also be great to meet you.

We enjoyed all your posts on Martina and Brian last
year.  We met them several times in Washington when we
tried to complete some more miles in hopes of
completing  our '97 hike.  Glad to hear they finished
and had such a great adventure!

Getting off the subject, but to put in our two cents
worth on the altimater discussion, we advocate the
Avocet wrist instrument! The altimater helped us a
great deal, we were able to calculate how much further
we had to climb and if we were at the top or not.  This
year we will both have one so we aren't having to
share.  Walt got me a "Pathfinder" for Christmas but we
sent it back because the printout figures were so tiny
we couldn't even read it.  It did have a light, but
that was all.  The Sunnoco is too big and complicated!
We didn't need a GPS last time and don't want to get so
involved we forget why we are on the trail anyway --
for adventure and memories.

>I had this same idea over the last few years and
thought that somewhere in >the Mojave just south of
Tehachapi Mountains would be best considering the
timing, lack of water.

That too Greg, or a ride from the trail head into
Mojave would also be fantastic!  It can take an hour or
more before someone takes pity on giving anyone a
hitch. In '97 Walt, Wendy, Gretzky and I got a ride
into Tehachapi from a great young man named Chris. It
was the FIRST time ever for me to stick my thumb our
for a hitch and I was cracking Wendy up because I was
doing it all wrong! I am 56 and we didn't hitch back
then!  Chris said he gave us a ride because I looked
like his Mother and he didn't want her out hitch
hiking!  What if some weirdo picked her up -- no way?
Boy were we glad for that ride.  It is long climb into
Tehachapi and we were all so very tired. It would have
taken us 4 hours to hike there.  That day the wind was
blowing 70-80 miles an hour and the windmills were
really humming! Being a "Geritol" does have its
advanatages!

>Maybe this year you '99ers will need what CTMiller
proposes.

It certainly does sound like it Greg! Thanks for
everything, your a real Trail Angle for all you have
done to help thru hikers out. Hope to finally meet you.

The Happy Trails Couple

http://www.backcountry.net   *