Re: [pct-l] LNT and individual responsibility

I think that this LNT thing has spawned some unattended acrimony.

So:
If we could just get people that they are responsible for their actions the
human race would be way ahead. If each individual hiker would simply
minimize their impact and maximize their cleanup [of other people's mess]
the wilderness would be a far better place. If the LNT initiative seeks to
educate everyone about the effect [of each individual] on the wilderness
and the approch [that each individual can take] to minimize it, it is a
good thing.

If, on the other hand, it is a club to beat specific groups over the head
with, it is counterproductive, and as Owen said, mentally lazy.

I think we can all [I hope]  Areee on that

Further:
Neither the PCTA  nor the PCT-L is dedicated to thruhikers or anyone else
except people who want to preserve and protect the trail. The hiking
style/proclivity of the individual is extraneous. While it is not suprising
to me that someone who has rearranged his/her life to walk 2000+ miles is
proud of his/her accomplishments and tends to relate with others who have
similer accomplishments, neither should a thruhiker be suprised that I
think eating corn pasta for 5 months is insane [but if you want to do it be
my guest] and walking away from a career and/or job for that length
[possibly forever] is beyond belief. Nevertheless, we don't need to agree
on the best way to hike to band together to protect the PCT [and enjoy
ourselves together other ways for that matter]

I think we can all [I hope]  Areee on that

Now for my less than humble opinion:
This list is a great place for hikers who are not from the west to get
information about the PCT from people who have hiked ann/or part of it. It
is also a great place to get information about thruhiking in general to
determine if this activity is for you. It is theirfore not suprising that
anyone advoacting LNT or any other trail related concept involve this list.
However, to elevate this list beyond what it is is a mistake. This list
does not speak for the PCTA or for backpackers in general [that use the
PCT]. The members speak for themselves.