Re: [pct-l] Altimeters, maps, compasses!

An electronic compass, altimeter and barometer are fine, but before you place
your life in the hands of electronics, your skills had better be good enough to
get you where you are going when the electronics stop working.  Be sure to take
an old fashioned magnetic compass.  Be sure you know how to use it and the maps.

Having said that, when I hiked the PCT in '81, it was well enough marked that I
hardly ever needed my compass.  But when I did need it, I really needed it, and
the knowledge to use it, the maps and read the terrain.

Ed