[pct-l] Altimeters, maps, compasses!

A while ago someone posted about using an altimeter on the PCT and how useful
they were.  After looking at the Data Book and maps from the Guide Books this
seems to make alot of sense.  I've been looking at  a Suunto Wrist Computer
that has an altimeter, a  barometer, and a compass accurate to within 3
degrees or less.  It tells time too, but that very well maybe the least used
function!

Right now I have no compass skills, but hopefully that will change before I
get to the trail.  I see that the guide book maps don't show north, can these
be used with a compass, if need be?  Is the Suunto compass accurate enough?

I'm getting a deal on the Wrist Computer, so I thought it may be a good
investment.

Any ideas?

Thanks,  Sly