[pct-l] Recipes

On my hike last year from Echo Lake to Castle Crags, I tried a number of
experimental recipes that I had concocted over the previous year; Some were
total failures but a couple were definitely worth repeating, I love Thai food
and I cook it quite frequently at home so I thought that I would try modifying a
few recipes for the backcountry.

One of my favorites, Tom Yum Gung, (Hot & Sour Shrimp soup) turned out to be a
camp favorite with me and my trail partners. The Tom Yum soup base can be
purchased at any Asian food store in either paste form or as boullion cubes. The
Asian food stores also carry dehydrated shrimp.

Tom Yum Gung

2 cups water

1 Tbsp Tom Yum paste (or one large boullion cube - you can add more or less to
taste)

1/2 cup dried mushrooms (any variety)

1/4 cup dried shrimp

1/2 tspn  dried celentro (I just sun dry some leaves)

* optional - dried chili pods (be sure to be near a good water source)

1 Tbsp lime juice (I carry one of those plastic limes)

Boil water, add all ingredients except for the lime juice. Simmer for about 5
minutes( until mushrooms are tender). remove from heat and add lime juice.

Serve with rice (or you can add instant rice right to the pot while it is
cooking for a hearty shrimp and rice soup)

I made this soup about a half dozen times during the hike and it never failed to
please. So if you crave variety....try this exotic alternative to ramon.

Coming soon.....Backcountry Vietnamese Noodle Soup (Pho)

Randy