Re: [pct-l] Bear Resistant Food Canister Sale

In a message dated 12/9/98 12:12:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
brick@fastpack.com writes:

<< Avoid camping between the south boundary of Yosemite NP (Donahue Pass) and
Toulomne Meadows without a bear can. This is Lyell Canyon and it is famous for
its bear problem and AFAIK there are no bear boxes on this stretch. >>

Not that one should rely on it, but there was a "bear wire" in Lyell Fork Base
Camp (about 9.5 miles south of Tuolumne Meadows) in '96 when I hiked the JMT.
If one has no BR food canister, and can't make it to Tuolumne Meadows before
dark, it's better than trying to find "just the right limb" to counterbalance
food.

The wire is stretched tightly between two large trees on opposite sides of the
PCT. Once you find the camp, look "up" for a wire stretched across the trail.

There were claw marks on the trees, but we had no bear problem when we camped
there. Of course, ... "past performance does not guarantee future results."

Charlie Jones