Re: [pct-l] Ice axes, Making multiple use gear

At 11:48 AM -0700 10/31/98, Joanne Lennox wrote:
>I am thinking about ordering an all-aluminum ice ax.  Mountain Equipment
>Co-op has a Camp Highlander ice ax for 55 dollars Canadian( about 33
>dollars american), weights 440 gm.( about 1lb) and comes in 60, 40, and 80
>cm.

I use an REI 90 cm axe- all year- on just about every Class 3+ peak -
arresting on scree, slippery
needles, etc is possible...it has saved my life on Mt Shasta during a pre-storm
increase of wind speed causing me to loose a glove and then my balance
reaching for the glove and I was able to arrest successfully.

It is heavier (2.5lbs) but is substantial which I like since I also use it
regularly for boot-axe and better belays with total confidence for
my partners and I.

--Rich Calliger