Re: [pct-l] the Pacific Crest Trail

On Sat, 31 Oct 1998 12:07:01 -0600 Dude Spellings <dude1@pdq.net> writes:
>This year I hiked from Lake Tahoe to Mt. Whitney.  In this part of the
>PCT, I was able to manage about 20 miles per day.  I have heard of
>others hiking farther in a single day, but I don't see how I could go
>much farther.  Have any of you out there been able to do substantially
>more that 20 mpd in the Sierras?  I could see how it is more possible in
>the flatter parts of the PCT, but is it possible in the Sierras?

     Hi again, Dude!          http://harry.lanl.gov/bpw/bpwplan.html

     That's the site of   "Blake P. Wood"  bpw@PLASMASYS.LANL.GOV
who says to feel free to ask him any questions, etc. If it's high mileage
you're interested in, he's your man <g>. He summerizes:

> Last week (8/9-8/13) I ran the John Muir Trail, which goes from
> Mt. Whitney to Yosemite Valley in California's Sierra Nevada, covering
> the 223 miles in five days.  This required three nights camping out in
> the backcountry, and one night (the last) sleeping in my Dad's car in
> a campground.  I carried all my stuff on my back, but in order to have
> the load light enough that I could run, I didn't take a sleeping bag,
> tent, or stove.  My gear and warm clothes weighed in at 12 lbs.  At
> the start I carried about 5 lbs food for the first three days.  Dad
> carried food in for me on the third day, and met me where I crossed
> roads twice thereafter and at the end.

---and so forth. He says he wouldn't do it again, and isn't recommending
his method for the entire pct (altho I hear some people claim to have
done it in one stretch like that), but it's interesting and informative
to read his story.

    I checked YOUR site, BTW. Very well done. Beautiful pictures.
later, bj

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]