Re: [pct-l] Cell Phones

I carried a cell phone out backpacking for the first time ever during my
week-long hike of the Lost Coast Trail & King's Range last week, and though
having a cell phone along on the trail may be a good idea for emergency reasons,
the number of dead spots (even along California's northern coast) reminded me
just how far cell phone technology has yet to go. I tried it within sight of
Shelter Cove (I was only six miles away with no geographic obstructions) and it
wouldn't work.  When I actually got into town however, it did work. When cell
phone coverage gets to the point where there are no dead spots anywhere on the
planet, and I'm sure that will happen soon, it will become an indispensable
safety item  for the backpackers, especially for those of us who usually hike
solo in remote locales. I even let my dog carry it in her pack, so it's no burden
on me.