[pct-l] Re: Blisters

Dude's comments on "blisterfree" were right on.  I recently completed a
425 mile section hike from Kennedy Meadows to Echo Lake, my longest to
date.  During the final weeks before departure I tried to get in several

evening walks with loaded backpack, and did a 2 day section hike (PCT
from Hwy 74 to Idlywild) to toughen up and get a little altitude 2
weekends prior to starting.

I hiked with a partner for the first 9 days.  Although he was a strong
experienced hiker and 10 years my junior, he had not done any
appreciable walking with a loaded pack in the weeks before departure.
The result: after a few days on rocky PCT tread he got blisters and I
didn't.  The lesson is that doing your
footwork (sorry, couldn't resist) ahead of time works.

As to technique, I try to keep it simple.  I wear a pair of light,
inexpensive polyester liners (turned inside out as described in Karen's
post) and a pair of Smartwool trekking socks under mid-weight hiking
boots.  I rotate 2 sets of each and keep a 3rd set of Smartwools clean
and dry (i.e.
only wear at night in camp), try to rinse a set nightly and dry hanging
from my
backpack gear loops during the next day, and if they're still a little
damp when it's time to go in the morning I wear them anyway.  I consider
clean
and damp preferable to dirty and damp.

Happy Trails, Tom from San Diego -- Go Padres!!