Re: [pct-l] Re: Blisters

My 100% preventative measure for blister is to get them before I go
hiking.  I hiked 450 miles of the PCT this summer without any blisters.
We did 15-18 mpd the first two weeks and 18-25 mpd the second two weeks,
and I never had any blisters.  My trick:
I hiked around town with my pack BEFORE I went on my hike.  I only
"practiced" about 7 days total.  The first day I went 9 miles and got a
small blister on each pinky toe.  Since I was at home and was not
constrained by time, food drops, etc, I rested for two days while the
blister healed.  The next time I went out, I did 12 miles and got "hot
spots" on my heels.  So I took one day off and went out the following
day for another 12 miles.  After the third day, my feet had toughened up
a little and were a little sore in general but had no blisters.  After
that, I had no problems and was totally ready to go hiking!

I don't know if this will work for everyone, but it sure worked for me.
The two guys I went with didn't do this, as I suggested, and they ended
up with blisters that are still healing.  While we were out, I
remembered a tip that I read on this list about using Vaseline after the
fact to ease the friction and pain.  My two buddies swear by Vaseline,
saying that it was the only reason that they were able to finnish.

Hopes this helps somebody.

peace,
Dude in TX