[pct-l] Re: Whether to rendez-vous with friends

<Nathan wrote: Several friends have asked to join me on certain sections of
the trail.
I was wondering what PCT veterans would say about this? My concern
is that my friends might not be in good enough hiking shape or may not be
interested in 8-9 hour hiking-days. It also seems a bit logistically
challenging
to arrange for rendez-vouzes on exact days. >

Nathan, as long as your friends are in shape (including feet!! my pet
issue), acclimated to altitude, and fully understand your goals and that you
REALLY NEED to get in the miles each day, that part should work out.  The
logistics can be something of a problem, but if it's a one-time event,
should work out fine.  It depends on your own likes/dislikes about company!
As you have probably discerned by reading postings on this list,
through-hikers get a little weird about the experience and experience some
dislocation with non-through hikers.  IMHO, one should acknowledge this and
get over it.

You need to be absolutely clear on the rendezvous location and give a time
range (24 hours, 48 hours or so), and confirm it with your friends when you
resupply on the trip segment before the rendez-vous.  Your friends need to
have some time flexibility too, and this can be tough for
weekend/vacationing colleagues who may wince at the idea of sitting and
waiting for you to arrive.  But it's nice to have some connection with
people who know you and were with you during the planning stages of your
trip.

Specifics: pinpoint rendez-vous locations on the maps ahead of time, and
make sure your friends can interpret your markings!  At resupply points, the
post office is a good location for taping messages to windows, community
bulletin boards, etc - the local postmasters seem to permit this.  If the
resupply location is a campground, tack notes to the main campground
bulletin board OR (if possible) tack or tape them to the PCT marker at the
trailhead or intersection.  (and, of course, remove them when they have
served their purpose....) Put the notes in a plastic baggie and write in
pencil or waterproof ink in wet weather.  (this means that you've taken
enough duct tape along with you to handle blisters, repairs, and taping
notes to signs....)

If it's a trail junction or other recognizable backcountry location, you
should probably check it out before your trip for mutually recognizeable
landmarks.  The drill that worked for my husband and me was that whoever
arrived at the rendezvous point first, left a note indicating where they
would be, and when they would return.  This worked (most of the time) even
with my 72-year-old mother-in-law, who provided vehicle backup for a large
portion of the trip.  (she took a long road-trip adventure with trailer and
a friend...this gave her interesting memories of the summer, too.)

Please email me if you need even more opinionated remarks!

Christine Kudija PCT '94
cmkudija@earthlink.net