Re: [pct-l] Hiking in December, Talkin' Bad Food Blues

Bad food blues, I hear ya.  And I think I've had a sampling of that
wallpaper spackling of which you speak.  Bringing water to a boil at
11,000', dumping in the pasta, and immediately turning off the heat (letting
it steep), doesn't always work out.
One new dinner I've been experimenting with has worked out well.  Dehydrated
refried beans - Fantastic Foods makes a line including this, hummus, falafil,
and some others.  Very quick to cook (just add to boiling water, and doesn't
come out like spackle, in taste at least).  I mix in some olive oil, powdered
milk, and chopped onion.  After it's set up, throw in some sharp cheddar
cheese (carried already for lunch purposes), and spread the concoction on
flat bread (carried as above).  An entire pot of this stuff lends itself to
about 4 burritos, and what carbos may be lacking in the beans themselves is
made up for in the bread.  Incredible filling and mucho energy the next day.
Which is ideal as the rest of the party will prefer you keep your distance.
  Next step will be to dehydrate salsa and add that to the outside of the
burrito shell.  .. good eating.
- Blister>Free, just back from the CT