Re: [pct-l] Lightweight Packs

I just got back from this area.  I did the JMT south bound.  We were near
Cathedral Lakes( about 4 miles south of Tuolumne) about two weeks ago and
thought we had hiked far enough past the lakes to avoid the popular camp sites.
After we set up our tent, about four other campers set theirs up in a circle
200yds away from us.  They all cooked.  We cooked about five miles before and
went right to bed, using our food as a pillow.  All night long the other campers
were banging pots and throwing rocks at bears trying to get their food.  And all
night long the bear walked right past our tent on its way to another campsite
and never stopped to pay us a visit.  I think that part of the problem is that
campers are afraid of bears and the bears sense that fear.  All of the other
campers banged pots and threw rocks, but none of them ever yelled at the bear or
attempted to show the bear that they were not afreaid of it.  In return, the
bear graciously spent all night ripping up all their gear that was not in their
tent . . .  we saw all kinds of packs, boots, and other gear strewn about the
next morning.
    I know that it may seem kind of dumb not to be afraid of a bear, but I truly
believe that this is part of the problem.  It used to be that the bears were
afraid of us because our ancestors used rocks, wooden tools and intelligence to
hunt bears.  Now we have turned the natural balance of nature on its head by
living away from nature.

IMHO,
Dude in TX