Re: [pct-l] Fuels

In a message dated 98-02-13 20:34:50 EST, benschif@sonnet.com writes:

<< A few weeks later, he started a small grass fire, near Old
 Station, while burning his TP--  >>

Ben,

I'm not challenging your comments at all.. They just reminded me to defend the
Sierra Club on this often mis-quoted position regarding disposal of TP while
on the trail.

FWIW, to the best of my knowledge, the Sierra Club no longer recommends
"burning" toilet paper. Actually, I don't know if they EVER did, but they
still get accused of it each time there is a forest fire ... "... caused by
another hiker burning TP..." Their current recommendation is to "pack your
used TP out."

(At least, the North County Group of the San Diego Chapter of the Sierra Club
recommends packing it out.)

Charlie Jones