Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #373

>What makes the white shirt a bad idea?  I burn easily, so I was planning to
>bring a silkweight long sleeve white top (and pants) -- lighter than a pint
>of sunblock, and if you're gonna carry long underwear anyway...

I'd imagine it depends on the type of material, but apparently you can get
sunburned *through* a shirt. I've read somewhere that an ordinary white
cotton t-shirt is about SPF 15. On the other hand, my own experience seems
to demonstrate that shirts have a much higher SPF than that. And you'll
probably want to carry some sunblock anyway - for face, hands, neck - though
you could carry a smaller amount.

Other pct-listers have suggested that a drawback of white shirts on the
trail is that they get to *look* really filthy, and this is a factor in
hitchhiking and town visits.

Karen

Karen Elder
bluesky@Rt66.com