[pct-l] RE: Bears and shirts

Not together!

I had a close encounter with a bear just south of Kersarge (sp) Pass in
early July lazy year.  The bear managed to get to within 5 feet of me,
asleep under the stars, and break the string I had used to hang my food
bag of the branch I had used to tie it off (it was a long day, and I was
too lazy to counter-balance).  It took me 15 minutes of yelling and pot
banging to chase off the bear, and three sleepless hours to await its
return.  Plus, the bottom of my pot was not as strong as my ice axe, so
a few dents in the pot remind me of the encounter.

I continue to be impressed with the cunning and stealth of the bear.  It
knew to be quiet, and it knew if it broke the string, free groceries!
Don't underestimate the western bears.  They are hunted in the eastern
U.S., so they are afraid of people.  Not so in the large, western
National Parks.

Regarding a white shirt, they generally look so dirty within the first
week, they are a significant turn off to townsfolk.  I would recommend
polypro shirts, if you can handle the long term odor retention problem.
On the southern half of the trail, I don't think drying time is much of
a factor, given the low humidity of the region in the summer.