[pct-l] sun and snow

You've all been extremely helpful so far, so here's a few more questions on
some little details:

I've had virtually no experience with hot desert hiking or the very bright
combination of sun and snow above treeline. Plus, I burn quite easily. I
have one of those common dark blue silk weight capilene t-shirts that work
fine in most conditions, but I'm concerned about it in those two specific
places. Is a white (or other light color) hiking shirt something I should
consider? And what about the loose fitting long sleeve option? (although I
can't stand over-heating with too much on) Will what I have be sufficient?
Any specific brand recommendations?

The second question is this: How do you decide when it is or isn't
appropriate to glissade?