[pct-l] Lite tents no longer available.

I've been reading the discussion on lightweight tents and vestibules, and
can't help to think back on my tent during my '82 thru-hike. The tent was
one of only a half-dozen 1.5 person half-dome tents made by Adventure 16.
Weighing in around 3.5 lbs, having a broadside entrance that allowed cooking
while sitting-up comfortably in one's bag, and a true "bathtub" floor, along
with an ample "veranda" (a vestiblue that was suspended off the ground), the
tent was a dream. It looked like a slice of pie, up on its side. It was very
aerodynamic, and once tied-out was great in high winds (had it up on a very
windy night on Whitney with no problems).

Unfortunately this company doesn't make tents anymore. While back down in
San Diego on vacation, I swung over and asked about tents and patterns. They
said there are no longer any of their tents in their rental program and that
Penny (the repair person?) uses the old tents for customer repair parts.
They weren't sure if patterns were still hanging-around. Perhaps some
pressure could revive the line, or make available patterns.

Meanwhile we keep ending-up with tents with awkward entrances towards one's
back that makes cooking a pain, or tents weighing in a bit heavy because of
excess poles. Let's all pressure the tent manufactures for quality
half-domes (Eg: "Hey Walrus, put that door on the side)!

-Ken Marlow
kmarlow@ngs.org