[pct-l] Campo to Hwy 74

I just completed the southern end of the PCT from Campo to the Pines to
Palms Highway (Hwy 74) last week  so I thought it might be useful to post
some information that might help others planning to hike through this area
in the near future.

Bus from San Diego - I recommend making a reservation.  On the day I went
it was full and they were turning away people without reservations.  You do
not need to spend an extra day in El Cajon or San Diego and the cab fare to
Campo would be of the order of $75.

Safety - there seems to be an overwhelming concern in these postings for
personal safety on the trail near the border, and while I do not want to
dismiss this as insignificant, I must say I never felt any real concern at
any time.  There are certainly plenty of signs of illegal aliens on the
first 50 miles of the trail but they appear to travel at night and are
probably as wary of us hikers as we are of them.  I think if you exercise
the normal cautions that you would in everyday life then all will be well.

Lake Morena park - I and others camped in the small area to the right of
the trail as it drops down into the campground area without any problems or
charges.  It was quiet and away from the main campground area though near
enough to be able to avail yourself of their water.

Burnt Rancheria Campground - this was not fully open as yet and all the
toilet areas have their water spigots capped off.  I stumbled around for a
long time (its a big campground) before finding a single spigot by the
entrance off the main road that was operational.

Pioneer Mail Trailhead picnic area seems to currently have a reliable
supply of water just beyond the trailhead information sign.

At the top of Chariot Canyon Road there is water in the large concrete
water tank behind the smaller roadside structure.  The roadside 'box'
(presumably a spigot?) has a padlocked lid and cannot be accessed but if
you go behind and above it in the bushes you can see the large concrete
tank and the lid thought heavy is not padlocked.  Take care though, it is
not the easiest of procedures to get water out of this tank and some
gymnastics might be required.

The section from Chariot Canyon Rd through to Barrel Spring is a bit of a
killer.  It is hot exposed and comes at a time 4 or so days into the trip
when, at least for me, I was at my weakest.  The climb up the San Felipes
from Scissors Crossing is particularly grueling.  I did it at night (there
was a full moon) and it made it passable.  I could not imagine doing it in
the heat of the day.  Given that this section is a bit tough and not
overwhelmingly beautiful, Barrel Spring is the sweetest area you ever laid
eyes on and the next leg over to Warner Springs is a real pleasure.

At Warner Springs, there is little in the way of supplies in town.  A gas
station with a selection of drinks, dubious looking sandwiches and no ice
cream!!!  I would not make the mile or so detour unless there was some
special need.  Of course if you are looking particularly presentable you
could try and dine at the Golf Club/Resort facilities, but if you look the
way I did, I can't imagine you would fit in with the golf set.

Nance Canyon still has water which could save you dragging an extra load
out of Tule Canyon.  I don't know for how long that condition will exist
though.

Highway 74 - the restaurant 1 mile NW on the Pines to Palms Highway, is
worth a detour for those in need of non-trail food.  A fine selection of
high calorie foods and great pie and ice cream.

Good luck to all you PCT hikers.

Steve White
swhite@infosac.com
Tel:  916 649 3244