[pct-l] Laguna Rec. Area Update

Class of '97,

For those of you who haven't started the PCT yet and you might be wondering
what to expect, here's some up-to-date information.

I hiked along the PCT with some friends who day-hiked from Pioneer Mail
Picnic Area (Map A8 in the PCT Guide) in the Laguna Mountains to Scissor's
Crossing (Map A11) in the Anza-Borrego Desert on Saturday and Sunday. This is
about 25 miles of the PCT.

We camped in the Laguna Campground where the night time temp was 29 degrees
on both Friday and Saturday nights. Today's forecast is better with 65 / 38
degrees. BTW, Laguna Campground has added a new facility this season which
houses "two flush toilets and a shower." Bring your quarters if you plan to
use the shower.

Brick mentioned earlier that there were two new sources for water (Penny
Pines and Pioneer Mail) along this part of the PCT this year. He had verified
one, but I forgot which one. I can only say that I verified the one yesterday
at Pioneer Mail Picnic Area. (I think Brick had verified the other one.) It
was working and does have a spigot (for filling the horse trough, of couse)
which hikers can use to fill a water bottle or two. It does still need to be
filtered or treated.

Botanically speaking, the area along the PCT from Pioneer Mail is beginning
to bloom. My favorite there is the Bush Poppy; watch for its brilliant yellow
blossoms. There are still lots of plant species which will bloom later
(perhaps as you are hiking through). As one continues to descend along the
PCT to the desert, wildflowers are abundant making a better show than I've
seen this year in the lower desert. That wildflower show continues right on
down to the Scissor's Crossing area. Perhaps the Beavertail and Hedgehog
Cactus will take your mind off your feet and knees for an hour or two.

Happy hiking,
Charlie