Re: [pct-l] zip stoves

In a message dated 97-04-09 20:32:56 EDT, mikeh@royalrobbins.com (Michael
Henderson) writes:

<< technically, the zip is both a stove and a fire.  it probably is going to
 depend on the subjective view of the particular ranger that finds you.  but
 i have not heard of anyone being cited or fined for a wood fire using the
zip.

 for my own information, are those "no-fire" regulations above timberline
 more for the preservation of what few trees are up there rather than fire
 danger?  just curious. >>

I would imagine the regulations are for the preservation of what few trees
are up there, but interpretation still could depend on the "view of the
particular Ranger that finds you."

I like your suggestion of a "no cook" meal when carrying a ZIP stove into a
"no-fire area."

It's not what I did last year on the JMT; I used white gas and a MSR stove
myself.

Charlie