[pct-l] re: zip stoves

charlie wrote:
>>>   What does one use for Zip Stove fuel when camping above timberline in
the
Sierras? There are limitations on wood fires above certain elevations and it
changes throughout the Sierras so you need to watch the signs along the
way. <<<

i don't own a zip, but i know a few thruhikers that do.

above timberline, carry a couple pocketfuls of twigs and pinecones up.
still lighter than a 1/2 full fuel bottle.  or plan a no-cook meal.  my
zip-stove friends do both.

technically, the zip is both a stove and a fire.  it probably is going to
depend on the subjective view of the particular ranger that finds you.  but
i have not heard of anyone being cited or fined for a wood fire using the zip.

for my own information, are those "no-fire" regulations above timberline
more for the preservation of what few trees are up there rather than fire
danger?  just curious.

mike

Michael Henderson		mikeh@royalrobbins.com

We cannot know what we can do in advance.  The only way
to find out is to go all-out trying, thinking only success.
     - Royal Robbins