[pct-l] Pack Volumes

Regarding Ken Marlowe's pack volume comments/questions:
(Sorry, this is a bit lengthy)

I have been struggling to keep the volume and the bulk down. I
purchased a Mountain Smith Wizard pack recently from REI. The pack
weighs only 3.3 pounds, volume is 3500 cu. in. and I find that it is not quite large enough.
Here is a list of my gear plans. Perhaps it will offer food for
thought for anyone else's planning. Please, any comments on how I
could pare down, substitute, or important stuff I have overlooked
would be appreciated. I haven't weighed everything yet, I'm still
working on borrowing a scale from a friend, but I would like to keep
total weight below 35 pounds, including food and excluding water
(anyone know of the specific sections this year where lots of water
 (>1-2 liters) must be carried).

To start, I plan to carry the following clothing:
lightweight poypro underwear top and bottoms, a T-shirt,
convertible nylon pants/shorts, a long sleeve nylon shirt, a polarguard hooded pullover,
pile mittens and (nylon overmitts for buglands), gaitors, 4 pr. poly socks, a Gortex parka, running shoes and
Vasque Exodus lightweight boots, 2-3 cotton bandanas for sun
protection and wash cloths, an old Marmot All-Weather Goretex parka
(its heavy and bulky, but its what I have; might make or buy a
lighter one if time permits), nylon ball cap.

I plan to add pile pants, stocking cap and possibly a midweight poly
shirt or nylon hooded windshirt in the Sierras and northern WA.

Cooking/Eating  Equipment includes:
 2 liter cookpot, an old MSR GK stove with extra small parts including sparker flints, an aluminum
windscreen and pint fuel bottle (I'm using auto gas for fuel - anyone think that a 1 liter bottle would be
more appropriate? based on availablility of gas), a 16 oz. lexan lidded jar for soaking up stuff on
the trail and for use as drinking cup to mix energy shakes, a lexan spoon and spatula for
stirring meals w/o burning hands, a 1 liter water bottle, an MSR 10
liter Dromedary bag, a First Need water purifier, birthday candles
and matches for emergency firestarting (No, not Forest fire).

Sleeping and Shelter Equipment:
an old Marmot Grouse down sleeping bag (20 degrees and under
2 pounds), probably an unwoven nylon sl. bag liner, an ultralight 3/4 length Thermarest pad,
a 9x11 tarp with stakes and All-Weather Blanket ground cloth for S. CA, an old Marmot Summer Solstice
tent (all no-see-um mesh at 5.5 pounds) for buglands of N. CA and S.
OR (this tent is bomb-proof in high winds, should I take it in the
high Sierras?)

Other Equipment:
65 cm Ice Axe in Sierras (looks like Kennedy Meadows pick up) and N.
WA, 100 feet of parachute cord, Victorinox Classic knife, normal sunglasses
(with polarized flip up clip-ons and homemade side shields for
snowfield travel), Petzl mini headlamp, emergency whistle.

First Aid Kit/Skin and Foot Protection/Toiletries (by the way, all
this stuff seems to weigh a couple pounds at least):
bandaids, gauze, 4x4 sterile dressing, Ace bandage, triple antibiotic ointment, a
homeopathic Ben-Gay cream substitute for the early days on the trail
to appease this battered 44 year old body, flagyl for possible
giardia, a round of antibiotics for whatever, prescription and
non-prescription pain killers, sun block cream, chapstick, Cutters, moleskin, molefoam, Spenco 2nd skin,
toothbrush (with the whole handle to keep my fingers out of my mouth
'cause there's no room next to my foot), small tube of toothpaste,
floss, toilet paper.

Other Frivolous Stuff:
A small camp towel from Cascade Designs (this may be frivoulous 'cause
the cotton bandanas would also work, but its light and compact), a
small camera, a small 6 oz. pair of  6x20 binoculars (for doing a
little frivolous birding along the way), a 5x9" journal, guidebook
sections, a scholarly (: paperback book or two, a Sony walkman and a couple of tapes (OK, OK I know you all
will slam this urban intrusion, but hey I'm just a corn fed
Michigander trying to cope in the midwest and, (: Oh yeah, the tapes
will be educational in nature; besides, I may be able to pick up a
local radio station to hear all the worldly news I'm trying to avoid on this
trip).

Quick Food Summary:
3 main dinners: pasta, quick rice and beans, couscous. These will be
made more palatable with  dried veggies, various spices, powdered
milk, hot chocolate, tea.
(All these can be soaked up and eaten cold, if necessary).

Breakfasts/Lunches: granola, various energy bars, Source of Life
Energy Shake mix, cup-o-soups, peanuts, raisins, dried fruit, various
crackers (Wasa Crisp, Pilot crackers, Rice crackers)
 I will supplement along the way, when possible, with cheese,
tortillas, peanut butter, carrots and other durable veggies,whatever
suits my fancy, or whatever my wife sends me in my drop boxes.
 And I won't forget my multiple vitamins and minerals.

If you made it this far, my start date is still a little up in the
air: sometime between April 20 and May 1. I want to  start a little
earlier than May 1 so I can hike fewer miles the first week or two
and "ramp-up" with my conditioning. Anyone else considering this time
frame? (I know Bob and Bug start on April 20 and a whole hoard of
adventurers start on May 1.)

My start date depends on when I get all this stuff organized and packed
(I still want to purchase and test another larger pack (Dana Arclight Glacier) or two -
is anyone out there planning on using an external frame pack or know
reasons not to? I also need to arrange an airline ticket to San Diego
using some frequent flier miles (one of the better ways to save
money). Then, at this point, I plan to follow Ray Jardine's
directions for using public transportation to Campo and hitting the
trail early evening after the bus gets there.

Hope this serves to continue the planning discussions. Again,
appologies for the length.

Bob Betz