[pct-l] Re: Wilderness Permits

Through hikers are not exempt. I got asked several time for mine, especiall
in the San Jacinto and the JMT areas. If you are a PCTA member they can
issue you one for the whole trail. Call 888-PC-TRAIL for information.

If not, you can write to the Cleveland NF office in Rancho Bernardo for a
permit. The address is in the guidebook. If you plan a side trip to mt
whitney, be sure to get a whitney stamp added to the permit.

If you are heading to Campo during gov't business hours, you can stop by
the ranger station in Alpine and pick one up in person. I don't know if
they have Whitney Stamps there or not.

One problem with the USFS issued permits is they are only good in
California. I guess region 5 (CA)  and  region 6 (OR&WA) don't get along,
and a permit issued in CA won't work in the wilderness areas in OR and WA,
so technically you need to get another one.

The PCTA issued permit will work all the way through.

You are also supposed to get some paperwork to get into Canada, but I don't
know of anyone who has ever been asked for it, so I wouldn't bother

--
Brick Robbins
San Diego, CA