[pct-l] From Fees to Bubbles...

Bearclaw asked: does anyone know how to get rid of air bubbles in a compass?
also, does anyone know what percentage of backpackers are long distant
hikers? Well, that was a fun way to switch from a heated argument of
backcountry fees...."Laurence..turn-off the bubble machine!"

Yup, I had gotten a Suunto (sp?) compass and once getting up to elevation,
saw a big bubble as well. I was told, and it seemed correct that the bubble
doesn't adversely effect the needle position. That bubble I believe was a
result of a manufacturing problem, and at sea level, may not be noticeable.
I cant imagine there's anyway to fix it aside from requesting a refund or
replacement. I finally pitched mine when 2500 miles and too much DEET crazed
the plastic. I have been using a Silva for several years now and have never
seen a bubble in it.

-Ken Marlow