[pct-l] rain/bug gear

I carried a Golite Dome umbrella last summer on the JMT and it was great the
first 3 days of the hike during the monsoon that occurred, but it was then
9oz of dead weight for 2 more weeks. It's like investing in the stock
market, past gains may not reflect future weather performance. But since I
carried the Dome on that trip I was able to carry a 3oz Patagonia Dragonfly
windbreaker and a pair of 4oz Golite reed rainpaints.  An umbrella is my
preferred hiking shelter in constant rain, camp chores, and for basic mental
stability during rainy trips. This year on the Washington-Pct I'll be using
Patagonia's Specter 8oz coat and those Golite pants, total wt 12oz.  Be sure
to carry that Nuclear-level-Deet, the snow levels are 100% plus on the PCT
this year, and the skeeters will rule this year. I also carry a 1oz headnet
for the worse case skeeter scenarios. I was able to fold my sleeping pad
over my P2 pack and strap it to keep it dry, plus all the important survival
gear (sleeping bag, clothes) was in plastic bags. I was hoping Reinhold -JMT
wouldn't notice my umbrella when I met him at Lake Wanda....his trail gear
was so insanely spartan!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 I am planning to thruhike this season and have a few q's as I wrap up my
gear planning that hopefully some folks here can shed light on.  one is rain
gear.  I haven?t done much hiking in the rain (I prefer my rain frozen, ie
snow!) and am wondering what rain gear people prefer to hike in.  ponchos
offer the best coverage for the weight, plus double as a pack cover, but
don?t offer the dual-purpose bug coverage.  a rain suit (marmot precip or
other) is heavy and also requires carrying a pack cover, but can double as
bugproof clothing.  other than gallons of DEET, is there another feasible
alternative to bug protection that allows the use of a poncho?  is a poncho
a nightmare with snags and flapping?  has anyone tried using a garbage bag
outside the pack, and cutting slits to pass the shoulder straps thru, as a
superlight rain cover?  (I tried it once on a short hike and it seemed to
work, but once and 5 months are vastly different) or ray?s umbrella concept?

  thanks,
  Mike