[pct-l] Re: Shoes and my section hike

Gail,

For mail drops, go to the postholer.com website. It has mail drops along the
entire trail:
http://postholer.com

End of the trail mailing and transportation. Check out Manning site:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/ecmaning/pctrail.html

For border documents and permits,  see these links:
PCT Permit:
   http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/permits/thru_permit_form.html
Canada Entry Permit (it will tell you what you need):
   http://www.pcta.org/planning/before_trip/permits/canada_permit_app.html

Being a New Balance fan, I'd recommend anything in the 800 series of the
shoe, except for the 805.

For spring or summer hiking most folks hike in their running shoes. The get
wet, your socks get wet, your feet get wet, but they dry real nice. Wear
them crossing creeks, snow patches, whatever, they're perfect. Boots do not
dry and are murder when wet. Trail runners are NOT recommended for winter
mountaineering.

Would anyone on the list be willing to correspond with me a little so I can
plan for my section hike (Willamette Pass to the Canadian border).  I need
possible mail drops that are easily reached from the trail, plus I need an
address to send my traveling clothes to at the end of the trail.  I also
need information on what I need to have or do at the border.  I'm been using
some Montrails for hiking but they're worn out and I need some  ideas on
footwear.  And it's been dry so far, but now I will be running into
precipitation, so should I wear hiking boots instead of running shoes? I
also will need a shuttle from maybe Eugene to the pass and also a ride from
the border to the nearest public transportation at the end of my section.
Thank you for any and all answers.  Gail/Gutsy
<<<<

PCT, CDT Snow : http://Postholer.Com
Peak Geek Hiker Supply: http://PeakGeek.Com