From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net]On Behalf Of Deems
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 5:27 PM
To: pct
Subject: [pct-l] digital trail cameras

If I was going to carry an "ultralite" 8ounce camera with the potential that
you are used to with the 350D, I would get a Canon A620. It runs on AA
batteries (use Lithiums), will accomodate 52mm or 58mm filters with the
correct adaptor, and has 7.1 megapixels.  Small Nikons won't accept any
filters, (I found that unacceptable!), and I carried Nikon 35mm systems and
Kodachrome in the wilderness for 30 years.  Everything in a lighter trail
camera is a compromise, but there are ways to increase it's potential to be
able to capture the moment. The trick is understanding the limits of the
camera and balance it with its potential and your photographic experience.
For the last three years I carried a Canon A70 and a set of filters. This
little 3.2 mp camera far outperformed my expectations in the Sierra and my
local adventures. The filters I carried were a polarizer, an enhancer for
sunsets/sunrises and reds, and a graduated (split field) neutral density
0.6x filter.  I have recently purchased a Canon Powershot Pro1 with 8mp, and
a great 28-200mm lens, but it sounds like Canon is discontinuing this nice
camera.  I look forward to taking the Pro1out on the trail this year. The
dpreview website is an excellent site to study reviews of digital cameras;
the tool bar at the top will pop down a long list of reviewed items. The
A620 will allow ASA50 for fine grain, slow 15sec exp and up to 1/2500,
35-140mm lens, excellent macro, wide enuf wide angle, good price, auto this
and that, and has the potential to take great photos if it is in the right
hands.  The digital zoom factor is useless in making a good scenic picture,
only the optical zoom is worth using or considering when purchasing a
digital camera.  The digital camera market, however, is changing
constantly..in both great and notsogreat directions..and this can affect
your decision.  The A620 is a good one for this year, imho. Hikon!
http://www.pbase.com/losthiker
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona620/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonpro1/
Which cameras to people take on the hike? I have a Canon 350D (aka Rebel
XT), which takes nice pics but is far too big and bulky. I'm looking for
something lightwieght, at least 4Mp and can run on regular batteries that I
can buy along the way. Suggestions?