[pct-l] Trail Life and Changing the World

_Tortoise73@charter.net_ (mailto:Tortoise73@charter.net)   writes:

I work  on changing the world with every little bit I do -- whether it is
helping  someone out; picking up some litter; or spreading some  knowledge.
Actually, one of things that I  think is a draw for folks to hike is that
trail life  intensifies life.  Things are simple and more understandable on  the
trail.  The routine is regular and predictable for the most part.   There is
adventure and an element of danger.  It is a building of  self confidence and a
sense of achievement.  You change your self and you  change the world.

Another thing I often think about  is the connection with our ancestral past.
 If you are alive right now,  then you had ancestors living 10,000 years ago.
 You had uncles, aunts,  cousins, grandparents, etc., living 10,000 years
ago.  That is kind of an  interesting consideration.

What are your responsibilities to  them?  "Nothing.  I did not even know
them.  Who cares?"  I  disagree.  On the trail you are living a lot like them.
You are  moving as they did.  You are surviving in a somewhat similar fashion.
At least they would understand a lot of your routine out on the trail.   What
is your connection to them and their memory?  What would they say  to you out
there and you to them?

Considering modern civilization, I  think they would be kind of proud of you.
 I think they would be very glad  to have you enter their camp and family
unit for a visit on your journey.   Real Trail Angel support there.  I bet they
would try to give some things  to take with you on your hike.  May be some
foods, seeds, tools, etc.

Of course, you would have to  explain Extreme Ultra Light Weight hiking to
them and thanks anyway, but you are  just fine with your gear.  But of course,
that will not work with grandma  times 150 generations.  Just like it would not
work with your grandma  today.  You will have to take some stuff with you, so
they will feel good  about helping you.  And make no mistake.  They would
want to help  you.

Somethings never change.  I  think that connection with your past is neat and
another special aspect to  hiking.

Your hiking buddy,  Switchback
Trail Genealogist and Knuckle  Dragging Section Hiker