[pct-l] Solo hiking

In 2004, from Crater Lake north Manning Park I hiked four days with others,
and hiked 45 days alone. I would have prefered more time with others.

Early in my PCT hike I looked forward to the solitude, with the hope of
clearing the mind and spiritual contemplation. However for me, this was
incompatible with hiking 20 miles a day. A few days in a meditation retreat
are much more conducive to such pursuit rather than hiking. True, I was able
to leave all the bustle of the world behind and to be in a natural setting.
However the need to remain alert, the internal push and plan to accomplish
the daily milestones, and the natural elevation of mind and body activity
levels were in opposition. Much more effective is to sit on a meditation
cushion.

Loneliness? Maybe. Probably more just regretting the opportunity to interact
with some really quality people on the trail. I do okay by myself, but there
were some fascinating people on the trail that I'd like to have spent more
time with. That's why I'd try to hike more with others next time.

Safety? A concern. When I hiked through the Glacier Peak area, for example,
I waited for someone else to show up rather than attempting to cross High
Pass alone.

Steady Sr.