[pct-l] Yreka Bakery...

Considering I lived in Yreka for over 25 years (and even now am only 23 miles away) and am a proud graduate of Yreka High School, as are both my daughters, I couldn't resist commenting on Scott's "slow day" post.

There was a Yreka Bakery for well over 75 years (in the same spot on Miner Street) and I am extremely sorry to say it is no longer in existence. The title being a palindrome has been, to quote Scott, a "tidbit" we locals have always enjoyed. As a very young child I remember being with very my best friend almost every summer day, going bare foot to the local swimming pool with enough money left over to go to the bakery and get penny candy (it had the best candy shop anywhere!) on the way home. I remember getting three pieces of candy for $.03 (no hiding my age any longer), giving the owner a nickel and asking if I could have my change in one piece of money. My older friend laughed and the owner tried to explain that wasn't possible.  I left in tears. Ah, what memories.

Yreka is the county seat of Siskiyou County one of the largest counties in the state geographically and one of the smallest in population (I think Lake Co. gets that honor). You can access the pct through out the county in many locations. The most well known are Scott Mtn. Summit, Carter Meadows, Parks Creek TH, Etna Summit and Seiad Valley/Hwy 96.  It is a joy to live up here   :)

JoAnn