From: pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-bounces@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of susan alcorn
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2006 9:33 AM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Re: Cooking in Ziploc bags, etc.

Hi,
  I don't like the idea of pouring boiling hot water into Ziploc or
similar bags. Not only is there the chemical-release issue, there's also
the problem that the corners tend to leak. You could end up with very
hot water in your lap.
  We repack our freeze-dried food into paper lunch bags at home (or
resupply points). Label the bags with a waterproof pen and seal the bag
with masking tape.
We can put several in a larger ziplock bag (two other benefits--the
savings in space and weight). We then do have to eat out of the cook pot
(and a cup for the second person), but we don't have scads of messy
ziplock bags to contend with. On the rare occasions when we can burn
anything, we can burn the paper bags, too.
  Disclaimer: Can't quarantee the paper bags will keep food fresh
forever, but have always been fine for the week to 10 days between our
resupplies. We know that it does NOT always work for beef jerky,
probably because of the high fat content.
Susan Alcorn

-

Shepherd Canyon Books
"We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill--Tales and Tips from Seasoned
Women Backpackers." More info at: www.backpack45.com Free twice-monthly
Backpacking/Hiking newsletter. Subscribe at: backpack45 "at sign"
yahoo.com.