[pct-l] Re: Cooking in Ziploc bags, etc.

Hi,
  I don't like the idea of pouring boiling hot water
into Ziploc or similar bags. Not only is there the
chemical-release issue, there's also the problem that
the corners tend to leak. You could end up with very
hot water in your lap.
  We repack our freeze-dried food into paper lunch
bags at home (or resupply points). Label the bags with
a waterproof pen and seal the bag with masking tape.
We can put several in a larger ziplock bag (two other
benefits--the savings in space and weight). We then do
have to eat out of the cook pot (and a cup for the
second person), but we don't have scads of messy
ziplock bags to contend with. On the rare occasions
when we can burn anything, we can burn the paper bags,
too.
  Disclaimer: Can't quarantee the paper bags will keep
food fresh forever, but have always been fine for the
week to 10 days between our resupplies. We know that
it does NOT always work for beef jerky, probably
because of the high fat content.
Susan Alcorn

-

Shepherd Canyon Books
"We're in the Mountains Not over the Hill--Tales and Tips from Seasoned Women Backpackers." More info at: www.backpack45.com
Free twice-monthly Backpacking/Hiking newsletter. Subscribe at: backpack45 "at sign" yahoo.com.