[pct-l] Desert Temperatures ...and water

Listen carefully to what Jeff said.

In 02' I carried my homemade polarguard3D quilt. May 2nd, the second night
on the trail on top Mt. Laguna, the temp dropped to a chilly 24 F. I was
wearing everything I had and I was uncomfortably cold.

May 15th '02 on Baden-Powell saw an ice storm which I sat out in Wrightwood.
The temps the following morning/night were also in the 20's. Don't under
estimate the 'desert' climate.

The official word on water caches is, "Never rely on them." However, you'll
definitely see irresponsible folks (such as the ADZPCTKOP organizers) who
will fund, promote and advertise cache status/locations cloaked in the vague
threads of 'necessity' or 'generosity'. Regardless of what the herd is
doing, YOU should take responsibility for a bad situation that is getting
worse each year. You don't NEED caches, so don't use or rely on the them.

If you PLAN your trip around the permanent/natural water sources, you will
find water to be plentiful. In severe drought years that may not be the
case. This may add several miles to your trip. We all know how nortoriusly
lazy us hikers are when it comes to hiking non-PCT miles. (See hitch-hiking
thread. :)

I cannot impress on you how empowering it is to walk by a cache in the
brutal heat of the day. This learned type of independence will serve you
long after you've left the trail.

Scott

 Keep in mind that the PCT in So Cal more frequently traverses the high
chaparral than it does lower desert. It might be best to plan for your
coldest spot and not the warmest. When it is really warm, I use my sleeping
bag unzipped and upside down (like a quilt) and find that the cooling effect
of the ground keeps you from overheating.
 Jeff