[pct-l] Olallie Lake Resort

The story we were given this summer was as follows:

The parcels are delivered to a USFS station somewhere about 30miles away.
Historically, the USFS have trucked them up to olallie every week or so
during hiker season. In 05, the USFS didn't do this, and the first the
resort knew of it was when hikers started turning up looking for parcels
that hadn't arrived.

Eventually, the resort sent their own truck down to get all the parcels, at
their own expense. By then it was too late for many hikers, but we (and I
think many NOBOs behind us) were ok. The resort suggested that they might
not want to hold packages in future if they have to go to the bother of
collecting them. Given that they didn't seem to charge a fee in 05, I can
understand why they wouldn't want to go to the effort and expense of
providing this service.  I very much doubt its a conspiracy to get hikers to
purchase from the store, it was pretty sparsely stocked.

It would be a pity if they stopped providing the service - maybe the
solution is to offer them a fee. It seems to me that we've been pretty lucky
in the past that the USFS and Olallie were prepared to swallow the cost of
providing this service.

http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/