[pct-l] What's a Cleghorn Anyhow?

MATTHEW CLEGHORN,

a farmer of San Bernardino County, was born in Knox County, Kentucky, in
1829, a son of Rev. Lorenzo D. Cleghorn, who was a native of Virginia and a
minister of the Christian Church. His mother, Mary (McLain) Cleghorn, was of
Scotch parentage. They had five children, of whom our subject was the
second. He left home at the age of twelve years and subsequently entered the
Mexican war. He enlisted in the Sixteenth Kentucky Volunteers, but was
afterward attached to the Eleventh. He carried the express for eight months
from Vera Cruz to the city of Mexico and thence to Lulusa. On account of
sickness he was sent to the Marine Hospital in New York in 1848. After the
close of the war he traveled over parts of Ohio, Indiana, Louisiana, Iowa
and Oregon, and while in the "Hoosier" State he met and married a lady who
has since been the companion of his life, Miss Serena Hendry, a native of
that State and a daughter of Isaac Hendry. After his marriage he moved to
Iowa and thence to Oregon, where he remained until 1860. He came then to
California, first settling at Watsonville in Monterey County, where he
remained three years. In 1863 he came to San Bernardino County and located
on the farm where he now resides. He arrived here December 25, 1864, and
homesteaded 160 acres of land, which cost $16. For several years he was
engaged successfully in the livery business. He is now one of the leading
stock-raisers in the valley, owning some thoroughbred stock, the Glencoe, of
Kentucky, being the principal. He has a magnificent residence four miles
east of San Bernardino on Base Line, which commands an imposing view of the
fertile valley and the surrounding mountains. He owns valuable property in
various parts of the county and is a man of considerable wealth and
influence.

s.c.