[pct-l] altitude sickness

I was wondering, if I hiked in Flag once a week, would that help acclimate
for the higher altitudes on the JMT this summer;
^^^^^^^^^^^
First, you show that you are aware of the challenges of alpine hiking, which
will help in your knowing your limits, and that it could be a problem if
recognized.  I think that your proposed Flagstaff hiking will be a benefit.
If possible, carry a full pack and spend some nights camped up as high as
possible, which will give a time at altitude benefit. Also, hike as much as
possible before your summer adventure, to be in the best physical condition
possible for the Sierra; the JMT will be a challenge!  If you are doing the
JMT only, then start at Yosemite and go southbound. It is the easiest way to
succeed, the altitudes will then increase gradually, and the challenge and
scenery will also increase as you hike southward. Also going southbound, the
reload opportunities are greatest in the first half, which will allow
lighter loads for the first half while you are acclimating. The best
prescription for altitude acclimation is alpine adventuring, physical
conditioning, and personal genetics. I lucked out on the latter and adapt to
altitude quickly, but I also try to maintain a level of conditioning that
allows me to adventure serendipitously.

http://www.pbase.com/losthiker/the_high_sierra  a few pics of the Sierra to
enjoy!