[pct-l] Mountain Boogie Man Strikes Whitney

_AsABat@4Jeffrey.Net_ (mailto:AsABat@4Jeffrey.Net)  writes:

Why not  start from the Portal at 11:30 pm and hike until sunrise?
Even if not at  the top, you'd enjoy the mountains being lit up on your way
up the 97  switchbacks.

I think I need the motivation to  try for sunrise at the top - neat goal.  I
cannot walk 22 miles up and  back.  I would not even go if that was the
option.  I will need a  big break at Trail Camp.  In fact, I think the hardest part
of the whole  trip for me is getting to Trail Camp and that is only 5 miles.
I am not  worried about the 98 switchbacks (3 hours for me to get to Trail
Crest) or the  lateral over to the top.  The only hard part of the lateral is the
last 500  vertical feet of the trail near the top.  I plan to be on O2.  I
will  try to refrain from lighting up a victory cigar at the top.

Since I will say I am not camping,  but only taking a break, I will try for
just a non camping permit.  Play it  by ear.  It is so hard to get a permit.  I
will see if I can pull a  fast one.  I have to check the full-moon phases for
July and August.   I hope I can go on a weekday.

One of my tricks will be to cashe  Gaatorade and food goodies on the way up
for the return trip down.  I will  have a reservation at the Dow Motel too.

I would really like to hike at  night on the way to the top.  The first time
I was at the top was in  1970.  I think I saw some stuff John Muir, Norman
Clyde, and the 3  fishermen left up there.  :-)

You are half way to the top of  Everest on Mt. Whitney.  Cool.  Real high
mountain adventures up  there.  You are in or above the weather, not below it.

Cheers, Switchback