[pct-l] Mountain Boogie Man Strikes Whitney

Having done Whitney in a day, a big consideration is exhaustion - not from
hiking, but from lack of sleep. The 5 hour nap just eats into your 24 hour
period. Why not start from the Portal at 11:30 pm and hike until sunrise?
Even if not at the top, you'd enjoy the mountains being lit up on your way
up the 97 switchbacks. Bring an alcohol stove for some hot soup at the peak,
then down for burgers.

I spent the night on top alone in 1978. It was a wonderful, cold, and
sleepless experience. But I didn't have an O2 bottle!

Remember you need an overnight permit if you want to camp on the Trail. By
leaving at 11:30 pm you enter the wilderness at midnight, so a day permit is
enough.

AsABat