[pct-l] Mountain Boogie Man Strikes Again

I was thinking about this 24-hour  Mt. Whitney sunrise hike.  I think I could
leave Whitney Portal at  noon and hiked to Trail Camp.  That is 5 miles str
aight up the tail and  let's say I get there at 6 P.M. Then I could eat and take
a Meritorious Combat  Nap.  Of course, I am taking my O2 bottle too.

I could get up at 11 P.M. and head  up the 98-switchbacks to Trail Crest and
then over to the top.  May be  sunrise would be around 5:30 A.M. or something
like that.  Should be no  problem.  Then all I have to do is be back at the
Whitney Portal parking  lot by noon.  I know from experience it takes me around
5 hours to make it  from the top to the parking lot.  Of course I would want
to go up on a  full-moon cloudless night with my headlamp.

VICTORY!  Another  mountaineering milestone completed.

I could have stayed on top several  years ago at the end of a solo High
Sierra Trail (I consider this the premiere  hiking trail in the world) hike from
Giant Forest.  When I got to the top  there were several people there resting
and taking pictures.  It was later  in the afternoon.  Soon everyone had left
and I was alone.  I had  planned on camping at the top to see the sunrise the
next morning.

Presently, I got scared being alone  on top, so I bailed and headed down the
trail as fast as I could go.   The Mountain Boogie Man got to me at 14,496
feet.  May be the Lone Pine hot  tub at the Dow Motel and dinner at the
Merry-Go-Round restaurant after the  High Sierra Trail hike had some influences too.
But I think it was mainly  being chicken.

Hey!!! I am not afraid of being a  chicken.

Your hiking buddy,  Switchback
Trail Rascal & Camp Scaredie  Cat