[pct-l] 24 hour challenges (was Mt. Whitney to Grow)

If you like 24 hour challenges, you might consider trying the "Three Peaks"
challenge in the UK - that is summiting the highest peaks in England,
Scotland and Wales on the same day.  Many start with Ben Nevis (4409') in
Scotland, then head the Scafell Pike (3208') in the Lake District of
England, and round off the day climbing Snowdon (3558') in Wales.

I had to smile the other day, while thumbing through by copy of 'Britain's
Highest Peaks' on the realization that my daily commute to work takes me
over a mountain pass that is higher than the UK's highest, while within view
I have a peak (Mt Shasta, 14161') that exceeds the sum of the UK's three
peaks!  Add in Northern Ireland's Highest Peak, Slieve Donard (2796') and
the highest peaks in the four countries comprising the UK still do not total
Mt Shasta and the US has eleven higher peaks, I believe.

Drew

[snip]

I wonder if I could combined a  24-hour round trip with my sunrise quest.
Mt. Whitney in one day.   That would be a super neat trip and goal.

Cheers,  Switchback